Store Poisons Safely
• Lock up medicines and household products, where children cannot see or reach them.
• Store products only in their original containers.
• Use child-resistant packaging…but remember, NOTHING is childproof!
Use Poisons Safely
• Read the label. Follow the directions on medicines and products.
• Are children around? Take the product or medicine with you when you answer the door or the phone.
• Is it medicine? Call it medicine, not candy.
• Children learn by imitation. Take your medicines where children cannot watch.
Teach Children to Ask First
• Poisons can look like food or drink. Teach children to ask an adult before eating or drinking anything.
Common Household Hazards
View these 30-second cartoons to teach you and your family how to recognize and handle common poisoning situations around the home. Click on the pictures to start each video.
Source: Health Resources and Services Administration Poison Control Program, http://www.poisonhelp.hrsa.gov.
You will need Windows Media Player to view these videos. Click here to download it to your computer.
(Back to You and Your Family Main Page)